Wednesday, December 10, 2014

SharePoint 2013 Search: Error Launching Query Builder - RESOLVED

When attempting to launch the query builder when creating a new Content Source or Result Source via Central Admin you receive an error as follows:

Error: Not able to connect to search service to retrieve valid settings.

You need administrator rights to the Search Service Application - even if you are a farm administrator. (I just recently encountered this issue but thought it worked before - I am thinking that recent patches and updates plugged a security hole).

Solution Implementation - PowerShell
You can solve this easily by running the following PowerShell script with your account name:

$principal = New-SPClaimsPrincipal "DOMAIN\USERNAME" -IdentityType WindowsSamAccountName

$spapp = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication

$security = Get-SPServiceApplicationSecurity $spapp –Admin

Grant-SPObjectSecurity $security $principal "Full Control"

Set-SPServiceApplicationSecurity $spapp $security –Admin 

Solution Implementation - Central Admin
You may also solve this via Central Admin.

From Application Management, click on the Manage service applications link under the Service Applications section:

Scroll down to your Search Service Application and select it:

On the SERVICE APPLICATIONS top ribbon, click the Administrators button:

In the Administrators dialog, enter the account that needs permissions and click the Add button:

Select the account in the list and grant Full Control:

Click OK.

The Query Builder dialog will now launch properly without any trouble.

Friday, November 14, 2014

SharePoint 2013: Hiding the Blog Tools Web Part

You want users to have contribute rights to your blog site but do not wish to show the Blog Tools on the post pages. If you remove the web part, other blog web parts (e.g. Categories) do not work. If you modify the Blog Tools web part properties and select the Hidden property, the web part still renders.

Viewing the web part properties in the page (via SharePoint Designer) shows that the web part should not be visible and should be hidden:

Modify the Blog Tools web part properties as follows:

  1. Change the Height to a fixed height of 0 pixels
  2. Change the Chrome State to Minimized
  3. Change the Chrome Type to None

Click OK and Save (or Stop Editing) the page.

Refresh and the Blog Tools web part is still on the page but does not show!

SharePoint 2013: Blog Category Links Not Working

Within a blog site while viewing posts, the list of category links do not filter the posts.

When viewing the source of the page, you notice that the anchor hyperlink references (href) are blank:

Add the Blog Tools web part back onto the page. The Categories web part does not seem to work properly if the Blog Tools web part is removed.

SharePoint 2013: Metadata Navigation Settings Option Missing from Document Library

You navigate to a document library's document settings and do not see the Metadata navigation settings link:

In order to configure the metadata navigation settings on a document library within a site, the Metadata Navigation and Filtering site feature must be activated.

Select Site Settings from the settings (gear) menu. Select Manage Site Features under Site Actions. Find the Metadata Navigation and Filtering feature and click the Activate button:

The Metdadata navigation settings link is now available within the Document Settings of the document library:

Thursday, June 26, 2014

IE Crashes In SharePoint 2013 when you mouseover the Profile Image: RESOLVED

Ever since I installed Lync 2013 and started using SharePoint 2013, ever time I hovered over a person's presence indicator, IE would crash. This became very annoying. I first thought since I was one of the first whom has Lync installed, there was something funny with the installation. I tried repairing Office 2013 with no joy.

I finally resolved the issue this morning. I then searched the forums to see if others had an answer but all I found was a locked thread:

The claim was that it was not SharePoint 2013 related. In my case and in most of those cases it was. The presence in Outlook worked fine. Anyway, I was a bit upset that the thread on the forum was closed with no resolution. People are trying to find an answer.

My resolution was that I still had Microsoft Office Communicator 2007 R2 installed on my machine. This was causing the conflict when hovering over the presence in SharePoint 2013. Once I uninstalled, the issue did not occur anymore and now I am free to move my mouse wherever I want!!

Hope this helps people looking for an answer but finding that Microsoft forums shut the door on them.